The Bullmastiff dog is fearless and firm and is known to be a very loyal family dog breed. This is because they have a soft spot for their family while being brutal to strangers. Most people refer to this dog breed as the “silent watchdog.”
This dog breed is no doubt one of the most expensive in Zambia. In this post, we will look at how much it costs to get a bullmastiff dog in Zambia. Without further ado, let’s get started.
Prices of Bullmastiff in Zambia
There are several things to love about the bullmastiff dog breed. They have easy care, short coats, and are dedicated family dogs. These dogs are also great protective companions and they grow to be quite large.
A bullmastiff can either be purebred or mixed-bred. We will be looking at the prices of both on the Zambian market. Check their prices out below:
- Baby Male Mixed Breed Bullmastiff – KW60,000 – KW150,000
- 1 – 3 months old Purebred Male Bullmastiff – KW100,000 – KW200,000
- 1 – 3 months old Purebred Female Bullmastiff – KW120,000 – KW250,000
- 1 year plus Male Purebred Male Bullmastiff – KW50,000 – KW100,000
- Imported Pedigree Bull Mastiff Puppies – KW500,000 – KW700,000
- 3 – 6 Month Male Purebred Bullmastiff – KW120,000 – KW220,000
- 6 – 12 Month Male Purebred Bullmastiff – KW100,000 – KW250,000
Note that these prices are only a range based on our survey of the bullmastiff market in Zambia. The prices may differ depending on your location and the vendor that you patronize.
Things to consider before buying a Bullmastiff
Getting a dog is a huge commitment so it isn’t a decision that you should take lightly. In this section, we will look at a few things that you must consider before you purchase a dog.
Can you afford a dog?
This is the first question that comes to mind before you get a dog. The cost of getting a dog goes beyond the initial purchase. You must have the funds to care for the dog, buy its food, and handle its medication. There is so much to spend on so you must be ready for the financial commitment involved.
Do you have enough time for your dog?
This is another important question that you must answer. Bullmastiffs require a lot of attention, just like other dogs. Having a dog is similar to having a child. You must create time for grooming, veterinary appointments, cuddling, socializing, and regular walks. It is not ideal to leave your dog alone the whole day. Even if you will employ dog-care services for your dog, you still have to create time for your dog.
Do you have enough space for your dog?
As we mentioned above, dogs are like kids. They do not just need care and time, they need space. A bullmastiff, for example, grows to become a fairly large dog. This means that you need to create enough space for it to move around and play. Before you even think of getting a dog, you must be ready to invest in a space for it. If you live in a rented apartment with neighbours, getting a dog may not be ideal.
What age of dog should you purchase?
Many people are always caught in the middle here. Should you purchase a puppy or an adult dog? Whichever you choose requires financial investment and training efforts. However, adult dogs have gotten some level of training from their previous owners. This means that you will be putting in little effort, unlike puppies. It all depends on what you want and your ability and patience to train and invest in your dog.
Bullmastiff Care Tips
If you have chosen to purchase a bullmastiff, we should warn you that this dog needs a lot of care. It is large and can quickly become a handful. Here are a few care tips to help you out:
- Socialize with your bullmastiff very early in its life and spend a lot of time with it.
- Create time to train your bullmastiff especially if it is a puppy.
- Take the dog outside for walks daily. When doing this, ensure that you have the dog on a strong leash.
- Bullmastiffs drool a lot so ensure that you always have a towel around to clean its drool.
- Bathe the dog every 3 to 4 months, trim its nails monthly, and brush its coat weekly. Also, make use of a dental kit for dogs to brush your bullmastiff’s teeth several times a week.