Clomid is a drug designed to stimulate ovulation in women that have ovulatory problems. As a result, it is mostly recognized as a fertility drug. When a woman takes Clomid, it helps to induce her ovulation.
Results show that about 70% to 80% of all the women who use this drug resume ovulation once they complete the treatment. In this post, we will take a look at the price of this fertility drug in Zambia. Also, we will share some interesting secrets about this drug before complete this post.
Prices of Clomid in Zambia
As mentioned above, Clomid is a fertility drug. It is not an over-the-counter drug and should only be taken when there is a doctor’s prescription. This drug is sold in pharmacies and drug stores all over the country. You can also purchase Clomid online from stores like Jumia and Konga.
In some cases, the fertility specialist or gynaecologist may prescribe Clomid with other drugs. Whatever the case is, it is mostly prescribed to be taken in relation to the time of intercourse. That being said, how much does Clomid cost in Zambia?
The most common form of Clomid in Zambia is Bruno Clomid (50mg) and its price varies depending on the location. After combing through most of the major drug stores (online and offline) in Zambia, we have come up with a price range. Bruno Clomid (50mg) costs between KW3,500 and KW5,000.
Uses Of Clomid
As we have mentioned above, Clomid is an infertility drug. It is recommended or administered to women that have anovulatory or irregular cycles. Anovulatory means menstruation without o ovulation. This drug is also used in the treatment of infertility related to polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
Sometimes, it is recommended when a couple faces a case of unexplained infertility. Clomid comes in handy when a couple prefers to use a less invasive or expensive fertility treatment. However, we must reiterate the fact that in some cases such invasive and expensive treatments are required.
Clomid can also be administered during intrauterine insemination (IUI) or IVF procedures. In the case of the latter, Clomid is used along with other injectable ovulation medications. The result of this is a stronger response.
Not everyone can use Clomid. In this section, we will state who Clomid is not suitable for.
- A woman with fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes or any other uterine abnormalities.
- Women with thin endometrial linings.
- A woman with an ovarian cyst. Note that this is different from the tiny cysts that come with PCOS.
- When you are dealing with male infertility (except when the male is also being treated with Clomid).
- Low ovarian reserves resulting from primary ovarian insufficiency or age.
- Other treatments can solve the ovulation problems better.
- Previous negative reaction to Clomid.
- Presence of a hormone-reactive tumour. Such tumours may grow when you use Clomid.
Common Side Effects of Clomid
There is almost no drug without certain side effects. In the case of Clomid, the side effects aren’t extreme compared to other fertility drugs. Some of the most common Clomid side effects include:
- Breast tenderness
- Mood swings
- Hot flashes
Usually, these side effects stop after you stop taking the drugs. Below are the possible side effects that may result from taking Clomid along with their percentage of occurrence.
- Abdominal tenderness resulting from tender and enlarged ovaries (7.4%)
- Abnormal uterine spotting and bleeding (0.5%)
- Bloating (5.5%)
- Breast tenderness (2.1%)
- Fatigue and mood swings (0.3%)
- Headache (1.3%)
- Hot flashes (11%)
- Insomnia and anxiety (1.9%)
- Tender and enlarged ovaries (noted in 14% of patients)
- Thicker cervical mucus or vaginal dryness (percentage of occurrence is not available)
- Vision disturbances (1.6%)
- Vomiting and nausea (2.2%)
It is also important to note that Clomid has the ability to reduce the quality of cervical mucus. The result of this is reduced mobility of sperm cells in the cervix. This may result in difficulty with conception. We must also warn that Clomid can make a woman’s uterus lining thinner. This is not ideal for implantation.
From these side effects, it is glaring that you should stick to the doctor’s prescription when it comes to dosage. Never take Clomid except it has been prescribed by your physician. When you notice any of these side effects, ensure that you reach out to your doctor as quickly as you can.