One of the most important parts of a house is the foundation. Apart from the fact that the foundation determines the overall strength of the building, it also serves as the basis of any building. If you want to know how well and long-lasting a building will be, then take note of the foundation. While there are many factors to put in mind when planning to initiate the construction of the foundation of a building, one of the core things to estimate is the overall cost of the foundation construction process.
The cost of building a 3-bedroom flat in Zambia is an important consideration for anyone looking to invest in real estate. The foundation is one of the most critical components of any building project, and its cost can have a significant impact on the overall cost of the project.
Advantages of Building a 3-Bedroom Flat
Building a 3-bedroom flat in Zambia has several advantages, including:
- Affordability – building a flat is generally more affordable than building a standalone house.
- Rental income – a 3-bedroom flat can generate significant rental income, making it a great investment opportunity.
- Flexibility – a 3-bedroom flat can be used for a variety of purposes, such as a family home, student accommodation, or staff quarters.
In this post, we will take a quick look at how much it will cost to construct the foundation of a three-bedroom flat in Zambia today.
Cost of Foundation for 3-Bedroom Flat
There are many factors that determine the eventual cost of construction of the foundation of a three-bedroom flat. Factors like the location of the site, the prices of various materials to be used, labor cost, and many others, affect the eventual cost of the project.
Despite these, we can largely estimate how much the whole project could cost. To make this simpler, we will take a look at the expected expenses of constructing a foundation for a three-bedroom flat.
Cost of Setting Out with Profile
This is the first step in constructing the foundation. Here, you will expect to use various materials including planks, pegs, nails, and many more. See below the estimated cost of this process.
- Plank – 5 pieces of Plank (1 by 12) – This costs between KW7,000 – KW9,000 depending on the location
- Pegs – 5 bundles of pegs – This costs between KW7,000 – KW8,000 depending on the location
- Nails – 2 inches and 3 inches – These cost between KW1,000 – KW2,000
- Rope – 4 bundles – This costs between KW700 – KW1,200
- Cost of labor – This largely depends on the strength of the labor force you have employed. You can expect to spend between KW7,000 – KW10,000
Cost of Digging and Excavation
The next step is the digging process. This process does not require so much. While some estimate for this process with the profiling process, it is usually advisable to separate the estimation. The major cost required here is labor. You expect the laborers to have their equipment. You can estimate between KW12,000 – KW25,000 depending on the strength of the labor force you have employed.
Cost of Binding
This is where the concrete work begins. A typical foundation is about 150mm thick on the base, having a height of 0.45 meters and length of 85.5 meters. See below the estimated cost of this process.
- Cement – 10 to 12 bags of cement. This costs between KW3,500 – KW4,000 depending on the location
- Sand – 20 tons of sand – This costs between KW8,000 – KW10,000 depending on the location
- Granite – 20 tons of Granite. This costs between KW10,000 – KW12,000 depending on the location
Iron bars might not be necessarily required, especially if the soil is firm enough, which is usually the case. Also, if the workers have direct access to water, like well or borehole around the site, then there wouldn’t be any need to estimate cost of liters of water that would be required. You can estimate between KW25,000 – KW35,000 for labor
Based on these, you should expect to spend between KW25,000 – KW32,000
Cost of Laying Foundation Blocks
Once you are done estimating for the concrete work, you can o pay attention to laying the foundation blocks. If you will be using 9 inches blocks and laying four coaches, which is the norm these days, you will require the following;
- Cement – 12 to 14 bags of cement – This costs between KW3,500 – 4,000
- Vibrated Blocks – about 650 pieces – This costs between KW13, 000 – KW15, 000
- Work relating to plumbing – This should cost between KW2,500 – KW3,500
Based on the estimation, we expect the sand and granite remaining from the concrete work to be enough for this process. Hence, we do not need to budget for delivery of another granite and sand. For this process, it is safe to budget between KW35,00 – KW45,00 for labor.
Cost of Filling and Foundation Casting
When you are looking to plan for this process, it is always economical to also initiate the process of digging the soak-away ad septic tank along with it. This is because the sand from the septic tank and soak away could help fill parts of the foundation, thereby saving cost. See below the estimated cost of this process.
- Laterite – About 3 trips of 20 – 22 tons – This costs between KW65,00 – KW80,00 depending on the location
- Cement – 25 bags – This costs between KW75,00 – KW85,00
- Nylon – This costs between KW15,00 – KW20,00 depending on the location
- Labor – You should budget between KW35,00 – KW40,00
Again, we expect the sand and granite remaining from the concrete work to be enough for this process. Hence, we do not need to budget for the delivery of another granite and sand.
The estimation above highlights an overview of how much it’d cost to construct a foundation for a three-bedroom flat in Zambia today.
1. What factors influence the cost of foundation for a 3-bedroom flat in Zambia?
The cost of foundation for a 3-bedroom flat in Zambia can vary depending on several factors, including the location of the project, the soil type, and the cost of labor and materials.
2. How long does it take to complete the foundation for a 3-bedroom flat?
The duration of the foundation construction process depends on various factors such as the size of the plot, soil type, and weather conditions. However, it typically takes between 2 to 4 weeks to complete the foundation for a 3-bedroom flat.
3. Can I save money by building the foundation myself?
Building the foundation yourself is not recommended as it requires a lot of expertise and experience. It is best to hire a professional contractor to ensure that the foundation is built correctly and to avoid costly mistakes.
The cost of foundation for a 3-bedroom flat in Zambia is an essential consideration for anyone looking to invest in real estate. By knowing the top 10 prices and factors influencing the cost, you can make an informed decision on your project. Building a 3-bedroom flat has several advantages, such as affordability, rental income, and flexibility. Always remember to hire a professional contractor for the foundation construction process.