Pharmacists Salary in Zambia : See What They Earn
With the economic situation in Zambia still in a developing phase, people have drifted towards professional fields. Although even these fields don’t guarantee a stable and automatic job placement after school, they still have the upper hand over some other professions.
Pharmacists are an essential part of the healthcare industry in Zambia. They are responsible for dispensing medications, providing advice on the safe use of drugs, and ensuring that patients receive the best possible care. However, there is a lot of debate about the salaries that pharmacists in Zambia receive. This article aims to shed some light on the matter and answer some of the most common questions about pharmacists’ salaries in Zambia.
Top 10 Pharmacists Salaries in Zambia
- Hospital Pharmacist – 15,000 ZMW per month
- Clinical Pharmacist – 12,000 ZMW per month
- Senior Pharmacist – 11,000 ZMW per month
- Community Pharmacist – 10,500 ZMW per month
- Retail Pharmacist – 10,000 ZMW per month
- Industrial Pharmacist – 9,000 ZMW per month
- Government Pharmacist – 8,500 ZMW per month
- Regulatory Pharmacist – 8,000 ZMW per month
- Academic Pharmacist – 7,500 ZMW per month
- Trainee Pharmacist – 3,000 ZMW per month
It is no news, professionals in some certain fields of most developing economies are usually among the top earner. These fields not only open them to various possibilities, they also tend to be indispensable, making the Government or private sectors they work for cough more cash for them; one of which is the Pharmacy profession.
Generally, Pharmacy is one of those profession you go into with a considerably high tendency you will get a job after school. Apart from the fact that the place of pharmacists in the community cannot be overemphasized, these professionals tend to on incomes considerably higher than many other professions.
For lovers of drugs and researchers, Pharmacy is just a bonus, with much focus of the field dedicated to discovering and prescribing medical remedies to sicknesses and diseases. When it comes to respect of professions, Pharmacists are among the most respected professions in the world and it is easy to see why lots and lots more people develop interest in the profession in recent times.
The big question then is; how much do pharmacists earn? While there have been a lot of debates surrounding salaries of Pharmacists in Zambia these days, this post sheds more light on how much a pharmacist should expect to earn in Zambia.
Pharmacists’ Salary: How Much Do Pharmacists Earn in Zambia?
Pharmacy is one of the most respected professions in Zambia. While their place in the medical world remains untouchable and absolutely vital, their salaries in some parts of the world, including Zambia, is regarded as a peanut compared to other professions. Although they work with Medical Doctors and other medical professionals (they as well work alone), there is a considerable difference in salaries of medical doctors and Pharmacists.
Salaries of Pharmacists vary according to level. For instance, an entry level pharmacist is expected to earn less than a chief pharmacist. We will classify the average salaries of pharmacists in Zambia according to the level of experience. This means that entry level pharmacist should have between 0- 2 years relevant experience, Mid-level between 2- 5/6years experience and experienced pharmacist with over 6years experience.
It should be noted that there is a huge difference between how much Government pay pharmacists and how much private institutions pay. Generally, the salary structure for Pharmacists is based on two main standards: Consolidated Health Salary Structure (CONHESS) which is for hospitals and Consolidated University Academic structure (CONAUSS) for Pharmacists in the academic sector.
On the average, an entry level Pharmacist earn between KW100, 000 – KW170, 000 in Zambia. However, the starting salary for Government staff is between KW165, 000 – KW300, 000 per month which is renewed after three to four years. There are also other basic bonuses and allowances. Here is a breakdown of how much Pharmacists earn per level of experience.
Salaries of Pharmacists in Government Hospitals/Teaching Hospitals
- Entry level (0 – 2 years’ experience): KW165, 000 – KW200, 000 (One or two teaching hospitals pay KW300, 000 for entry level).
- Mid-Level (2 – 5 years): KW250, 000 – KW450, 000
- Experienced (5 years and above): KW450, 000 – KW800, 000
Salaries of Pharmacists in Private Hospitals
- Entry level (0 – 2 years’ experience): KW75, 000 – KW150, 000
- Mid-Level (2 – 5 years): KW150, 000 – KW250, 000
- Experienced (5 years and above): KW200, 000 – KW400, 000
How to Become a Pharmacist in Zambia
Are you interested in pursuing a profession in Pharmacy? Congratulations, you are on the right page. Here we will take a quick look at processes involved in pursuing a career in Pharmacy. Here is a step by step guide on how to become a Pharmacist in Zambia.
- Get Required Certifications: To become a professional in Zambia, you need to have the necessary certifications. First of all is the Primary and secondary certification. You can then proceed to a University to study Pharmacy. Usually, Universities will demand at least a credit pass in basic science courses including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English Language. You are also required to pass the compulsory UTME with a reasonably good score. UTME cut-off marks vary per institution.
- Internship: While in the university, you are expected to go for a compulsory one-year internship program where you will practise as a Pharmacist in a hospital or teaching hospital. Here, you will learn a lot more about the profession and have an opportunity to relate with other professionals.
- NYSC: The national Youth Service Corp is another compulsory phase in your journey to be a Pharmacist. It is a one-year service year where you are expected to serve your motherland. Ideally, you will be posted to a hospital or a pharmacy in the area you are posted to.
What are some of the factors that determine a pharmacist’s salary in Zambia?
As mentioned earlier, a pharmacist’s salary in Zambia depends on several factors. One of the most significant factors is the level of education. Pharmacists who have a higher level of education, such as a Doctor of Pharmacy (PharmD) degree, tend to earn more than those with lower levels of education. Years of experience and the type of institution where they work also play a role in determining a pharmacist’s salary.
What are some of the advantages of being a pharmacist in Zambia?
There are several advantages of being a pharmacist in Zambia. Firstly, pharmacy is a fulfilling profession as it involves helping people and improving their health. Secondly, pharmacy is a stable profession as there is always a demand for healthcare services. Finally, pharmacists in Zambia have the opportunity to work in different areas of healthcare, such as hospitals, clinics, and community pharmacies.
What is the job outlook for pharmacists in Zambia?
The job outlook for pharmacists in Zambia is positive. There is a high demand for healthcare services in the country, and this demand is expected to increase in the coming years. This means that there will be more opportunities for pharmacists to find work in various areas of healthcare.
What are some of the challenges that pharmacists face in Zambia?
Pharmacists in Zambia face several challenges, including shortages of drugs and inadequate funding for the healthcare sector. These challenges make it difficult for pharmacists to provide the best possible care to their patients. However, there are efforts being made to address these challenges, and pharmacists in Zambia continue to provide vital services to the community.
Pharmacy is a critical profession in Zambia, and pharmacists play a crucial role in ensuring that patients receive the best possible care. The salaries that pharmacists receive in Zambia are relatively modest, with the average salary being around 10,000 ZMW per month.