Public health is one of the fast growing fields in developing countries. The general population has so many needs that have to be regularly met and one of the most important, which usually tops the list, is health. This is one of the major reasons why there is always a need for health professionals. In a simple statement, public health is a popular health career that allows professionals to work with variety of people from various fields and specialization to attain a specific purpose. The field is coming a big fish in the career ocean and lots of people are beginning to move towards that line.
Public health is one of the broadest fields in the medical sector. It has lots of various areas and is as broad as you can imagine. While the profession has been seen as one of the top paying careers in Zambia at the moment, it is also regarded among the most successful in terms of job opportunities and prospects. The profession span across a large range of spheres and activities which all focus on evaluation and regulation of public health.
The field is also a very dynamic one. It entertains graduates from various fields to enrol for the degree. Although some few universities offer the degree in undergraduate level, most other universities offer the course in Masters level which entertains graduates from various fields.
Here, we will take a look at how much Public Health professionals earn in Zambia. We will also highlight the basic steps to take to become a public health professional.
How Much Do Public Health Professionals Earn in Zambia?
Public health is gradually rating among the most noble, flexible and top paying professions in Zambia. The fact that they mostly work with Non-Governmental Organizations (NGO) is one reason they are among the top earners in the medical sector. While it is widely classified under medical sector, it is so dynamic that it accommodates people from various fields, in as much as you have the Public Health certificate.
In terms of salary, they surely rate as high as many other medical professionals. Take nothing away from their bonuses and other basic allowances as well. Most of the NGOs they work with are foreign organization, hence one of the reasons their pay is on the high side. Salary aside, the flexibility and excitement in the job is another factor that attracts young professionals to the field.
On the average, Public health professionals earn between KW180, 000 – KW350, 000 depending on the organization. Here we will consider some NGOs and how much they pay their entry level staff.
- FHI 360 pays KW330, 000 – KW370, 000 for Public Health Entry Level as at 2018
- Danish Refugee Council (DRC) pays KW230, 000 – KW250, 000 for Public Health Entry Level as at 2018
- Norwegian Refugee Council pays KW230, 000 – KW250, 000 for Public Health Entry Level as at 2018
- International Medical Corps pays KW180, 000 – KW20, 000 for Public Health Entry Level as at 2018
- Catholic Relief Services pays KW330, 000 – KW360, 000 for Public Health Entry Level as at 2018
- Action Against Hunger pays KW180, 000 – KW220, 000 for Public Health Entry Level as at 2018
It should be noted that there is a significant increase in salary with time, so does bonuses and other incentives.
How to Become a Public Health Professional in Zambia
Are you aspiring to be a public health professional in Zambia? Well then, there are some basic steps you need to take to be certified as one. Here, we will consider the steps involved in becoming a public health professional.
- Obtains a Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health or other Related Discipline: Here, you need to obtain relevant bachelor’s degree certificate in Public health or other similar fields. Most schools in Zambia don’t offer public health at bachelor’s degree. It is safe to settle for biological or medical science courses in undergraduate level. Courses like Biochemistry, Microbiology, Pharmacy, Chemistry and other living science related degrees are acceptable in most cases.
- Obtain Master’s Degree in Public Health: This is a no-brainer. If you don’t have bachelor’s degree in public health, it is essential you obtain a master’s degree in Public health. Even if you have a bachelor’s degree in the field, it is always better to go for a master’s degree in the field as it gives you and edge and makes you specialize in an area of the field.